Technical Rigging Manager – Events/Exhibitions
About the job
Position: Technical Rigging Manager
Location: South London
Prospero Integrated are searching for an events technical Rigging Manager for a respected client of ours within the exhibitions industry!
Purpose of a Rigging Manager
The primary function of this role is to manage the rigging function in conjunction with the Technical Services Manager. The team delivers all in house operational rigging requirements within the venue maintaining high levels of customer service and delivery. The role holder will be the main contact for all events rigging orders and will ensure that all statutory regulations and health and safety requirements are adhered to at all times. The role holder will collaborate closely with the Technical Services Manager to ensure that all appropriate KPIs/ SLAs which are in place are achieved and monitored closely proactively maintaining a safe working environment.
The role is also responsible for rigging mark outs and for the supply, maintenance and leases, of all relevant equipment. The role coordinates, books, processes invoices for and sources rigging contractors.
Onsite Delivery of Rigging Services
- This role is responsible for the overall management of all in house rigging services within the venue, providing a rigging service to all venue clients, including full quotes as per the rigging rate cards, meeting deadlines for delivery of services as required on each event.
- The role holder will handle client enquiries to point of handover to rigging contractors and must be competent in understanding client requirements, specifications and plans. The role must ensure that all required data is collected to produce full working site files for each event. Liaising closely with the Technical Services Manager and Event Managers to ensure all aspects of logistics and tenancy requirements are factored in to event planning for delivery and removal of rigging services. Attend client planning meetings and site visits as required.
- The role will ensure contract rigging teams are in place to deliver all events in line with deadlines and requirements of the event.
- Ensure all rigging equipment is maintained and tested to fulfil statutory requirements, codes of practice and to meet appropriate H&S legislation. Manage hire and use of plant and machinery as required for event rigging. Ensure individuals using such plant and machinery are adequately trained and qualified to do so.
- The role is required to liaise with external production teams and client representatives, structural engineers, event planners and other internal departments to establish and agree venue/event rigging requirements and associated costs.
- Propose and deliver plans and projects to develop and improve rigging services offered by the venue.
Event Mark Out
- The role is responsible for ensuring that all rigging mark outs are completed in a timely and appropriate manner. Ensuring that EBMS is checked well in advance of events taking place to anticipate any issues with Service Preparation days.
Compliance with Legal Obligations and H&S
- Be aware of the chief requirements of the HSWA especially LOLER, PUWER regulations and other legislation relevant to the Company and remain abreast of any changes in the law. Liaising with enforcing authorities as necessary.
- Promote the Company’s health, safety and environmental policies. To implement the companies Health and Safety Policies and Procedures. To develop the companies health and safety policy, organisation and arrangements in consultation with Managers and Staff.
- To advise and assist the business in planning, organising, controlling and maintaining a safe and healthy environment, providing guidance and advice on compliance with statutory requirements and company standards.
- Maintain the department’s risk assessments for all relevant activities. Undertaking risk assessments relating to HSE in relevant situations – actively managing outcomes.
- Undertaking ‘active’ monitoring of company projects. Highlighting areas where poor practice and/or significant risk have occurred. Investigating incidents and producing detailed factual reports identifying root causes and recommendations for improvement.
- Monitor events through planning and delivery including exhibition floor plans to ensure they comply with Company Rules and Regulations and relevant legislation. Monitor exhibition build-up, open periods and break down to ensure they comply with our Rules and Regulations and any relevant legislation.
Budgeting & Forecasting
- When required provide budgeting and forecasting information for all events to the Technical Services Manager. Provide financial information for each event, clearly showing costs, revenues and profits. Actively ensure that costs are managed and additional revenue can be gained from up-selling of secondary rigging services.
- This role is responsible for ensuring that sufficient staff are deployed efficiently and cost effectively demonstrating effective labour control. Using management skills to ensure the crew is working efficiently and maximising their time and abilities.
- The role is responsible for controlling costs within the department’s control, including negotiating with suppliers to ensure best value is achieved for the procurement of externally sourced labour, materials and services.
Leadership & Supervision of Team
- The Assistant Rigging and Technical Manager is responsible for overseeing the level of service provided by the team, ensuring that all orders are staffed appropriately. The role is directly responsible for arranging and booking all sub contracted labour and must work with HR to ensure
- Company procedures are adhered to in relation to the appointment of casual staff and freelance contractors.
- When allocating duties the Manager must ensure that the contractor or staff member has been adequately briefed and trained in the relevant procedures; monitoring performance of core expectations, including timekeeping, competence, customer service, work quality and quantity as well as demonstration of a positive attitude to work. The Assistant Manager must demonstrate the appropriate behaviours and act as a role model to their team, maintaining our core values.
- This role must be responsible for flagging any issues or concerns as well as working with department managers to identify appropriate solutions.
- The role must appropriately lead the rigging department to deliver venue/event rigging services within agreed timescales and financial constraints, ensuring all installations are safe and comply with relevant Health & Safety standards.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Able to demonstrate advanced technical knowledge and practical experience of all aspects of rigging including Health & Safety regulations/issues, intermediate to advanced CAD drawing input, analysis of design specifications and weight loading of rigging systems. Able to produce working drawings for event rigging.
- Good understanding of seating and staging layouts, lighting, PA and audio visual systems with a high standard of computer literacy in CAD and good working knowledge of Word, Excel & EBMS.
- Floor plans/ Blue prints – able to read and understand both event related floor plans and construction drawings. Competent at exhibition and large scale event mark out
- Significant experience of managing rigging service delivery within a venue or similar environment.
- Practical experience in a project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution
- Excellent communication skills with a proven track record of leading departments and controlling budgets to deliver client requirements within agreed timescales and financial constraints.
- IOSH or NEBOSH qualification or other relevant H&S qualification would be an advantage
Looking for the next step in your career you can be confident that we have the clients and the national and international reach to find you an opportunity that matches your skill set and experience.